As you must know, there are many categories and types of essays in the English language. Some can be relatively easier to write, while others require special assistance/guidance from an expert. Similarly, here we will talk about the technique and precision required to write a literary analysis essay.
The first and foremost important thing about a literary essay is that it interprets what the author wrote in their work. Likewise, you first must go through the novel or play whatever it is as per your chosen topic. Secondly, you must explore and analyze various portions of that literary artwork to depict its idea through your essay. So, before you begin to write a literary analysis essay , it’s necessary to have a clear understanding of its writing technique.
Check Also: How to Write an Essay with a Quote?
About Literary Analysis Essay
For clear understanding, a literary analysis essay analyzes and explains a piece of literature, whether it’s a book, poem, novel, or short story. By writing a literary analysis essay, you are explaining the weak and strong points of the literary artwork written by some author.
Also, while writing a literary analysis essay, you can write your own perception of the book (novel, poem, story, etc.) and its author. In a literary analysis essay, you have the freedom to depict the story in your own way that some other author already writes. Hence, writing a literary analysis is highly important as it tells others if they would like to read it.
Purpose of Writing Literary Analysis Essay
As stated above, by writing a literary analysis essay, you are informing others about the matter included within. When you go through a piece of literature work, it might depict different approaches to different people. Likewise, a person reading a literary analysis of any book or poem will be able to understand its character, experience, and other matter in short.
In general, the aim of writing a literary analysis essay is to explain your thoughts and understanding of a specific text that you read. Now, it’s also important to note that you are not supposed to write a review or be a critic in writing the literary analysis.
To explain it in a simpler form, you may go through the following example –
You can write a literary analysis essay on a novel that’s written by a famous author. Now, while writing it down, you can conclude your own points that you think are highlighted in the novel. More so, you can go on explaining about a character that you thought was of high caliber in the book. However, make sure that whatever you discuss in your essay is a fact of that literature.
Read Also: Effective Tips for Essay Writing
How to Write a Literary Analysis Essay?
You must consider several aspects before writing a literary analysis essay. Likewise, you can follow the guidelines to write an impressive literary analysis essay.
- Go through the Text: The most important thing about writing a literary analysis is reading the text thoroughly. Once you have understood the plot, you will be required to start taking notes.
It’s practically unapproachable to say that you will remember everything if you have read it more than twice. Thus, it’s important to write notes simultaneously as you catch something attractive.
- Use Literacy Devices: If you have less knowledge of literary devices, at first, erase that perception from your mind! Now, as you go through the plot, you pick up different literary devices, from the protagonist to the symbols and metaphors used in the passage. While you must follow the texts, it will be impressive if you add a few literary devices to the writing.
- Narrative Speech: While writing a literary analysis essay, it’s needed that you must only write it through your own perspective, which is the narrative. Yes, you have read a story or poem written by some author. But, when you are writing a literary analysis essay, you must write it from your own point of view.
- Language of the Passage: As you write the essay on the literary work, you can absolutely appreciate or criticize the language used. In accordance with famous literary personalities, you can never denote that the work’s author has full command over the words. Thus, you can always depict the author’s style and use of phrases or slang.
- Structure of the Literature: Lastly, you can also include the structure or format of the literary work that the author uses. If you are still unsure, you can explain the scenes that go by every stanza. Likely, you can explain it as you like while keeping the facts intact.
By the above-mentioned points, it must be clear that these essay writing is not as typical as it sounds. Having enough knowledge on the matter is the key to writing a genuine literary analysis essay. Those keenly interested in writing will always have the best approach to writing down a scenario. Also, if you are willing to write a good structure/format essay, this will be quite simple.
Likewise, the thing you need to consider is your reader is unaware of the literary you are going to depict. So, you must keep the language and formatting easier for better understanding.